The James Prendergast Library was a gift to the city from Alexander Prendergast, the city founder’s son and his wife, Mary. They commissioned the building in memory of their son, James Prendergast, who died in 1879 at the age of 31. It opened December 1, 1891 and contained 8,666 volumes. The original building was constructed by architect A.J. Warner of Rochester. The rounded arches, Medina sandstone exterior, turret on the SE corner and general air of ruggedness label it as Richardsonian Romanesque. The former Reading Room contains the original oak fittings and red tile fireplace and displays original paintings of the Prendergast family and surrounding area.
Today library services include: a Makerspace, free WiFi, computer classes, children, teen and adult programs, ebooks, audiobooks, DVDs and a year round, daily book sale. The James Prendergast Library is the co-central library of the Chautauqua Cattaraugus Library System. Click here to visit our website for events and classes.
Book sale hours:
M-Th 10:00 AM – 8:30 PM
Fri – 10:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Sat – 10:00 AM – 4:00 PM